COVID-19 Update for GCSurplus – Wednesday August 5th, 2020
GCSurplus continues to gradually re-open its website and is working hard to resume business operations across Canada.
The following services are now available to GCSurplus' customers:
- Online sales of shippable items are available from the National Capital Region, Montreal, Langley, Edmonton, Regina and Toronto sales centres (Sales centres remain closed to the public at this time)
- All sales centres are conducting client sales where available
- Contactless pick-up option available from GCSurplus' Edmonton Sales Centre
- Only online payments are accepted, using credit and debit cards – No payments will be accepted at our sales centres
- Shipping is expanded to items weighing up to 2,041 kg (4,500 lbs) – Excluding vehicles
We are taking a gradual approach to the resumption of our operations so that we can ensure the health and safety of our employees, customers, partners and the communities we serve, which is of utmost importance.
We thank you for your continued support and encourage you to regula
You may also follow GCSurplus on Twitter and Facebook.
Stay well and stay healthy.
GCSurplus reduced business operations
GCSurplus’ regular business operations have been paused to allow the organization to establish COVID-19 safety protocols that ensure the health and safety of its employees and clients.
GCSurplus is working on a phased re-opening of its online auction website, which will include the expansion of its current shipping capacities to allow for increased buying options and contact-less delivery of goods purchased through GCSurplus.ca.
This page includes details about how GCSurplus is supporting and protecting its employees and clients during this difficult time. We will update this page as the situation evolves – please check back for new information.
If you have any questions or concerns, you may reach us by using one of the following methods:
Toll-free (for hearing impaired): 1-800-926-9105
How will GCSurplus provide a safer sale of goods in the current COVID-19 environment?
When GCSurplus re-opens its online auction website to the public, it will implement the following COVID-19 safety measures to facilitate safe sales transactions:
- Credit and debit card online payment only
- Sales of shippable items from GCSurplus locations
- Expanded shipping from 150lbs to items weighing up to 4,500 lbs
How will GCSurplus operate safely amidst the COVID-19 pandemic?
GCSurplus has implemented key protocols to limit the spread of the virus in all nine of its warehouses across Canada. The health and safety of our employees and clients remains our main priority, and all decisions to re-open business are and will be based on the current environment, as well as, restrictions, and guidance from public health authorities and all levels of government.
We continue to review and adapt to the situation as it unfolds and will adjust our processes accordingly. For now we will lead in providing a safe auction process with strict physical distancing rules and safety protocols that will remain in effect for as long as they are required.
What changes have been made to shipping due to COVID-19?
As part of GCSurplus’ response to COVID-19, we have expanded our shipping capacities to facilitate the sales of larger items (up to 4,500 lbs) in support of contact-less delivery.
What happens if there is a community lockdown during an auction?
GCSurplus is taking the safety of its clients and employees very seriously and will keep monitoring the situation on a daily basis. GCSurplus will take appropriate actions, based on public health authority recommendations, in a situation of a lockdown.
Depending on the circumstances there are various approaches we can take, most of which would need to be done prior to the sale closing. Each situation may require a unique approach; however, some potential strategies may be:
- To take the sales listing down and either postpone or cancel it
- Modify the sales listing to support its continuance in the lock-down environment (e.g., No viewings; no pick-up; shipping only)
- Extend the online auction timeline
- Change the scope of the auction (e.g., single lot sale)
What should I prepare for as I bid with GCSurplus amidst COVID-19?
Unique constraints and/or instructions will be documented in the sales listing. As different regions may have different constraints, we encourage you to contact your regional sales center for more guidance on safety measures within your region.
GCSurplus will be working closely with stakeholders to support physical distancing and limit the number of buyers on site at any given time.